Saturday, October 4, 2008

General Conference Saturday

Today was a good day. I slept until 7:21 a.m. (unheard of! I get up at 5:30 on weekdays, about 6:30 on weekends) and suddenly woke up realizing I was supposed to be doing our Biggest Loser Weekly Challenge at Curves. At 7:45. I got up, got dressed, and left. Pretty fun. Didn't get back till almost 9:30. Ate breakfast (you've got to try this: fresh peaches cut up on mini wheats, fiber 1, yogurt and milk. Sometimes I put blueberries on too. De-lish.), raced into the shower just in time to hear the first speaker for General Conference. President Monson announced 4 new temples, including one in Rome! I don't know why, that just sounds so cool. Major headquarters for the Catholic Church, joined by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love it. We have a family tradition that every October conference we get out our WONDERFUL 72-hour backpacks that my mom put together for all the members of her family (what is it, 19 grandkids, 4 kids, 4 kids' spouses, 1 grandmother and her and my dad!) for Christmas one year. Of COURSE, the food it contains needs to be rotated every year, so we have ready-made snacks while we're watching. I think Allie chewed and spit out 15 pieces of gum. Grant had 3 or 4 juice boxes and then wondered why his stomach hurt. I was grateful that the only "junk food" in there was Jolly Ranchers candies, which don't appeal as much as they used to. Good to have when you need it, but I don't want to know there's something accessible in a backpack that would alleviate the day-to-day craving. You know? Then we had crepes for lunch with whipped cream, blueberries and cherries. After General Conference, Session 2 (REALLY GOOD-Elder Christofferson and Elder Bednar) Rob took the boys out for their traditional "boy's night out" to eat, then Priesthood Session, while I took the girls out (we figure we get a night out too...the boys get 2 of these per year, and Caroline and I will go again for Young Women's Conference). After the boys ate, Rob dropped off Grant and left again. We're going to get out our Halloween/Fall decorations finally. Clean house means I can think of something else besides AAAAGH!! I can't stand the clutter!! Guess I'll go for a walk. Love, Amy

No comments: